Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Welcome to Tech-Nicality!

A blog about the confluence of old and new technology.

I am currently a student attending a local trade school, studying a number of industrial practices, including: welding, machining, manufacturing and mechanics. I am attending school in an attempt to find gainful and fulfilling employment: this is why I simultaneously pursue many skills. In this way, I view my experience as typical of many people locked out of the current economy, you have to play with the hand you're dealt.

Up until very recently (say roughly the last century) the word "technology" would never be used to describe software. In the old use of the word it would reference traditional industry complete with the required corporations, logistics and other considerations. The modern debate in American popular culture seemingly has lost sight of this. On one side we have a "technology" lobby that is seemingly opposed to everything about the old system. On the other side we have an expectant population raised to think of "work" as something done only inside of a cubical.

The reactions to this reality have played out in various forms over the years. We have seen the popular TV show, "The Office" and a movie, "Office Space." There are countless other bloggers who herald the pros, cons, and corruptions of this reality. Yet though it all popular culture remains blissfully unaware of its common root in industry.

HTML, FTP, and TCP-IP have made many trade related publications and opinion message boards  readily accessible . Yet it I have a distinct impression that such "information" , "knowledge" , and "political viewpoints" found on these message boards are wilfully ignored by the leading voices of new technology and culture. This is even as such cultural leaders feign solidarity with those whose voices and speech they seek to repress on their own websites.

This is, of course, an egregious double standard where "Web Searches" very existence is leveraged as an excuse for snarky critiques of tradition, and other older forms of industry and communities of skill. It often borders on elitism the way fealty is demanded (through Google or Wikipedia no less) by some of these groups and leaders.

I have no idea if there are any engineers or engineering students out there and writing along similar lines that I will attempt here. What the reader should be aware of is that I am currently NOT training to be an engineer. I am writing as one who is engaged in pursuit of the traditional apprenticeship and I plan to blog all the way till at least my completion of that apprenticeship and the award of full status within my chosen, "community of skill."

As always, I invite those who might have differing opinions, additions, or corrections to add their input where they see fit. I will probably still spend the next month or two ironing out layout and fixing kinks and developing an agenda.

I hope to write as often as time allows but do keep in mind that I am not a "full-time" blogger.


No comments:

Post a Comment